Monday 9 January 2012

Cartoons a hundred years ago

On a gray and rainy Scandinavian winter day like today, I found myself looking at cartoons from a bygone era. A hundred years or so ago the humour was rather innocent compared to what we see today, but it still is rather amusing. And the cartoonists were often excellent artists.

Here is a small selection of old Swedish cartoons for you to enjoy:


"Professor, have you ever thought about marriage?
Well, to marry - - - to marry - - - it could be - - - but to have a strange woman in the house ..."

"So you and Ellen are married and happy?
Yes, that is -- she is happy and I am married".
"No, my dear P.-B. (Swedish composer Wilhelm Peterson-Berger), a real artist is always modest - there are moments when I doubt that I am the greatest singer of our time."
.
"Mrs Blomkvist: And I thought that you were deeply mourning your husband ...
Mrs. Grönkvist: Oh yes, my dear, you should have seen me yesterday!"

"Is it really true Baron that you have broken your engagement?
Yes my fiancée became much to sentimental - she began to speak about marriage!"

"What was it that made you propose to that girl, love or her money?
Love, of her money".

"They say that that the marriage of those two artists is not a happy one.
-- Yes, he has become a cubist and now he is beating here because she is round".

"Professor, could you tell me what philosophy is?
-- To be near you and not lose one´s composure".
(This cartoon is from 1943)

"Could I borrow that sword to cut this steak with?"

No comments:

Post a Comment