Tuesday 13 March 2012

Simple pleasures nr 18: Stones on the beach


Living close to beach has always been important to me - although not so much because of the possibility to swim and get a sun tan. No, the thing I enjoy most is to stroll along the beach, preferably when it is almost empty of other people. Enjoying the beauty of the always changing colours of the water, the sound of the waves and the birds trying to catch something to eat, is just great. Observing ships passing by is an added bonus. They are reminders of the larger world outside of ones own small coastal neighbourhood.

Stones on a beach have a particular appeal. In my opinion there are few things in the world that are more satisfying to look at than rounded stones, which have been formed by the forces of nature during a long period of time.

In general I just enjoy the stone as they are on the beach, but when living in a number of westerm countries, I have picked a small number of stones to keep. They now remind me of some glorious bygone days on the beach ....




No comments:

Post a Comment