Monday 21 October 2013

A statue of a Swedish king in Karlskrona

When I saw the statue of the founder of the Naval City of Karlskrona, king Charles XI (Karl XI), during my visit in August, my first thought was that some important renovation work was being done.




However, soon I learned that I actually saw a work of art surrounding the king. It was the Swedish artist and landscape architect Monika Gora's piece "See what the king sees".

Later I noticed that she has made similar "installations" in e.g. Malmö and Helsingborg.

Sweden is full of old cities and towns, with statues of royals and other dignitaries. Which means that there is work to do for Gora and other contemporary artists ...

I for my part prefer to look at Charles XI and the rest from the street level:

Charles XI in Karlskrona
(image by Wikipedia)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment